Friday 15 April 2011

Running, running... as slow as I am

Six weeks ago I took up running with a beginners group in the Phoenix Park. (Back in my early teens I joined a running group at home but it was all about speed and winning races and being better than the best. I hated it!) We met twice a week and would run until our little legs would carry us no more. Actually, that isn't quite true. We had a very professional, enthusiastic and supportive trainer who broke us in gently.

Raedi Higgins is the mastermind behind Run Like a Girl. The aim at the start of the course was to build up our endurance so that we could run for 30 minutes, non-stop, at the end of the six weeks. Last night was the last session and I am delighted, proud and more surprised than anyone else to say I ran for 35 minutes non-stop. This is partly because myself and another member of the group were a bit behind the others and decided to take a different route (which is code for, we got a little lost!).

In six weeks I have noticed such a difference in my mood, my sleep pattern and my energy levels to list but a few. I've also noticed some weight loss and toning which is a bonus (not the reason I joined the group). Last weekend I didn't make it out for a run and felt like the weekend wasn't complete without it.

The best thing about joining the group, aside from the laugh we would have each session, was discovering that I enjoy running. I may move at a snail's pace but at least I am out there doing it. I have gone as far as to sign up for the Women's Mini Marathon in June. I don't care if the race takes me two hours or two days, this year I am actually going to do it and not just talk about "thinking about doing it". I have yet to decide on a charity that I will fundraise for.

In the meantime I am going to continue running and dream of one day joining the intermediate group! So for all you budding runners, take a look at http://www.runlikeagirl.ie/ and get out there and start running. You'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment