Wednesday 15 June 2011

In loving memory

Six years ago, for an assignment in college, I wrote a poem about my beloved aunt Darra, who died in 2004. I meant to post it last week on her anniversary, but the day led me elsewhere. So here it is. I've updated it slightly, but on the whole it is the same as it was in 2005.



Darra

There’s a hole in my heart
Since the day that you left,
A hole in my heart,
That can never be filled.

A petite, svelte lady,
You had enough personality
To fill up a room and light it
With the smile in your eyes.

Just like you mother,
Your sharp wit
Always caught me off guard

You had beauty and elegance
Like no-one else I knew,
Your generosity and spirit will last
For eternity in those of us who love you.

It’s been seven years,
Since the day that you died,
My face still burns
From all the tears that I’ve cried.



This poem was originally written in May 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment